Sunday, June 1, 2014

I know what day it is, I swear

Summer confuses me.  I have a horrible time keeping track of what day it is.  However, that problem will soon be solved (ish) as I start teaching next week.  Of course, that actually might not help much, since I teach five days a week.  We shall see.

My hope is that I will actually have a blog post on FRIDAY this coming week. Super sigh.

Now, on to the important part:  the food! Lately, I have been buying a lot of fruit.  Summer berries.  Yummy.  I made strawberry biscuits, but I have more strawberries.  What ever am I to do with them?

While I was Pinteresting this week, I kept finding these recipes for Monkey Bread of various sorts.  Most people don't know this, but Monkey Bread is one of my favorite things EVER.  I love it.  However, it is a bit difficult to make small batches of it.  Generally, my mom would make it in a bundt pan.  That's a lot of Monkey Bread and I would eat it all.

Why I never thought of this, I do not know, but I saw a recipe for Monkey Bread for Two from Sweet as a Cookie on Pinterest.  Pudding mix is not a standard addition to Monkey Bread, but I'll try it!

Then, I saw this recipe for Strawberry Vanilla Monkey Bread from Dessert Now Dinner Later.  I had never thought about using fruit in it!

Since I can't leave anything alone, I sort of combined the two for a Strawberry Cheesecake Monkey Bread.

Strawberry Cheesecake Monkey Bread for Two

1 small can of Pillsbury buttermilk biscuits (not Grands, just the small 6-biscuit tube)
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Cheesecake Pudding Mix
8 strawberries, sliced/chopped (or enough to alternate between the biscuits)
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon orange extract (optional)
dash cinnamon
dash nutmeg

Grease two baking dishes.  You can use a muffin tin, if you don't have little ramekins.  Place them on a lined baking sheet. Don't make my mistake and just toss them in the oven.  They will overflow some strawberry juice (or it might just be because I didn't and fate does that to me).

Cut the biscuits into quarters, roll them in the pudding mix (not prepared), and then place them in the ramekins.  Alternate the biscuit with the strawberries.  It doesn't have to be perfect.  The biscuits will rise and fill in gaps.



Once all of the biscuits and strawberries are layered in, sprinkle any left over pudding mix over the tops.



In a separate ramekin (because I am lazy, I just used the pudding mix ramekin), microwave the butter and sugar until it is melted.  Add cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange extract (these are all optional).   Mix it together, then drizzle it over the top of the Monkey Bread ramekins.




Bake them at 350  degrees Fahrenheit for about twenty minutes, or until they are brown on top and cooked through.







Let them cool for five minutes (if you can, because they smell so good). 


I will admit that the cheesecake flavor doesn't really come through, but I might try it with some cream cheese added in, but that might cause some problems.

The good news is that this was a 330 calorie breakfast, which isn't too bad. The bad news is that I want a traditional Monkey Bread now. 

Or even just this one: 



No comments:

Post a Comment