Monday, May 26, 2014

Strawberry Biscuits

We had a girls day brunch the other day.   I made Sangria (from Sally's Baking Addiction's recipe) which was amazing.  I just didn't know what to make with it.

Since I went a little strawberry crazy (the recipe calls for 10 strawberries and I bought two quarts), I decided I should do something with those strawberries.  I'd already eaten bowls of them, put them on ice cream and yogurt, and added them to spinach salad.  However, I wanted something a little special to go with the brunch.

I've been eyeballing the blueberry biscuits in the refrigerator section of my local grocery store.  I want them so bad, but I don't need eight biscuits and I know I would eat them all.  I have no control.  With that in mind, I decided to try my own take with these strawberries.

I have to admit that I am not the best biscuit maker in the world.  Whenever I do rolled biscuits, I overwork them and they end up tough.  Really, whenever I make biscuits completely from scratch, I overwork them and they end up tough.  I went with my old friend Bisquick to avoid the problem.

However, I almost didn't avoid eating the whole batch by myself.  Good thing I made them immediately before I needed to leave!

Strawberry Biscuits

3/4 cup Heart Healthy Bisquick
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
 1/4 cup light almond milk (or whatever milk you have on hand)
1/4 cup chopped strawberries


milk for coating
Sugar in the Raw for dusting

1.) Preheat oven to 450 F.
2.) Mix together the Bisquick, sugar, and nutmeg.



3.) Add the chopped strawberries.



4.) Add the milk and mix carefully, just until fairly incorporated.
5.) Divide dough into four parts.
6.) Form the dough into round disks (or just drop it onto the cookie sheet).



7.) Dab the tops with milk to help the raw sugar adhere.
8.)  Sprinkle raw sugar on top.


9.)  Bake until golden brown (about 8 minutes).
10.)  Cool for as long as you can :-)


Obviously, I went for the drop biscuit form.  Also, you may notice that there are fewer here than were in the previous photo.  Yeah.  Meagan and I ate them, before Andrea even got here.

After I told my dad about these, he had a couple of good points.  First, almond extract would highlight the berry flavor a bit.  Second, I could have made a simple glaze for these.  Either (or both) would be a lovely option.  I also thought about adding some lemon zest to the dough.  However, these were awesome just as they were.

I think I may go make these again :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment