Sunday, June 8, 2014

Apparently my new blogging day is Sunday

So, I still don't know what day it is.  Or I was just too crazy tired this week to post on a Friday.  I'm not used to teaching every day anymore.  Really, I've never been used to teaching the same prep every day. 

Also, my plan for this week's post didn't happen, for a variety of reasons.  I blame the weather.  However, this post is even BETTER than my original plan. I'm notorious for having a single banana left over.  That does not support the making of banana bread, really.  I have used a lovely recipe that my vegan friends Phil and Judith sent me.  It is Polka Dot Banana Bread from Chocolate Covered Katie.  I just figure out what it needs for however much banana I have.  Awesome. 

The other--read lazier--thing I do with leftover single bananas is banana muffins using the small batch mixes.  Sometimes I use the Honey Bran mix, but I was in a corn muffin mood this week.  Also, I had blueberries and blueberries can only make things better, so I added them in too.

Banana Blueberry Corn Muffins

1 pkg. Jiffy corn bread mix
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon honey
1 banana, extra ripe
1/2 cup blueberries (fresh)
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1.) Preheat the oven according to the corn bread mix directions (400 degrees Farenheit)
2.) Spray a 6-tin muffin tin (I needed an extra cup)
3.) Mix banana, egg, and honey together.
4.) Add the Jiffy mix, cinnamon, and milk. 
5.) Stir until combined.  Avoid over working it or the muffins will be tough.  Lumps are okay.
6.) Add blueberries and mix gently.


7.) Fill the muffin tin.  Divide the batter evenly between the tins.  As I mentioned above, I needed a seventh.

8.) Bake until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. (About 15-20 minutes)

Remove them as soon as they have cooled a little or the bottoms will get damp/gummy. 

Of course, if you are making them in the morning for breakfast, there won't be enough time.  I always eat them when they are hot.  I won't eat all six though.

Now, for a last minute explanation of  the lack of photos.  Tony Awards.  That is all I have to say.  I've made a variation of these muffins a hundred times, but with no photos.  However, the Tonys kept me too distracted to actually take photos when they needed to be taken, so fail.  I got the important ones though!

And on that note, I will go back to prepping for class tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment