Friday, May 23, 2014

Excuse the break

Last week was a little crazy between finals and grading and THATCamp.  I never got around to really making something worthy of a blog post.  Then, I didn't really eat any non-chain/life-changing food to replace my own post.  I almost did a birthday ninja post, but I will save that for another date.

Along with the busy-ness that made me not post on the blog last week, I ate like a crazy person.  I was very disappointed in myself, especially since I didn't even walk Remy (he was at the PetHotel) for exercise.  So part of my plan for this week (and looking forward) is to be back on track with healthier foods and fewer snacks.  Does that mean I am not splurging at all?  No.  However, I am being more thoughtful about what I spend my calories on. 

In order to make up for the lack of posts, I will now post TWO in a row.  Today I am posting a turkey burger recipe that I make (in different versions) all the time.

The great thing about this recipe is that I can vary the meat and the add ins.  Sometimes I make green chili burgers and use bread crumbs or panko.  Sometimes I use beef (my mom calls them Sy's burgers after my grandfather).  I've used different flavors of Cheez-its.  These are easy, fast, and I never feel guilty about them.

Spicy Turkey Burgers

4ish ounces ground turkey
1 Tablespoon crushed spicy cheez-its
1 teaspoon egg beaters
1 1/2 teaspoons milk
1/4 teaspoon dried onions
a dash ground chipotle
a dash spicy Mrs. Dash

Mix all the ingredients together.


You may want to use your hands for it.  With burgers and meatloaf, you just have to use your hands to get it mixed together.



Form into  a patty.  If it is not holding together that well, you may need to add more cheez-its.



Fry until cooked through.  I don't trust any ground meat to be undercooked, so I cook it until it is super super done.


I added a slice of reduced fat colby jack and served it on a multigrain thin with lettuce and tomato.  For a side, I made a salad with light ranch dressing.


These burgers don't really shrink that much (depending on the fat content and brand of ground turkey you use), so I obviously did a great job of forming the patty to the size of the bun.  Oh well.  :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment