Friday, May 9, 2014

Pistachios, anyone?

Several weeks ago, a professor shared some pistachio brittle with us in the DH.  It was lovely.  I could have eaten the whole bag all by myself....but I didn't. I am not that rude.  However, I did stop by the store to see if I could get a bag for myself.  I won't repeat what I said when I saw the price. 

I have never been a candy maker, but I was sure I could make some pistachio brittle that was equally tasty and much cheaper than the store bought kind.  However, I was not ready--read as too lazy-- to buy a candy thermometer, so I had to find a base recipe that didn't require one.  I used this one, from the Brown Eyed Baker, as a base.  I cut it in half as I only had a cup of pistachios and

Pistachio Brittle

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup pistachios

Line a sheet pan (if you care about its finish) with parchment and spray it with cooking spray.  I was being lazy (once again--it is a very real problem for me), so I didn't go buy parchment.  I used waxed paper.  Also, I didn't want to use my spray, because I was making it to share and it was made with soy (and one of the DH group has food and gluten allergies). I used butter.  Between the two my brittle stuck and we ended up eating a little paper.

Add the sugar, water, corn syrup, and salt to a sauce pan.  Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until the syrup becomes a golden brown color.  This may take about 25 minutes.  It is important to watch the mixture fairly closely, especially when it begins changing color. 






Once it reaches the correct color, take it off the heat and add the rest of the ingredients.  I saved the baking soda for last.  Stir it quickly, then spread it on the prepared baking sheet.




This goes quickly, but no worries if it is not even.  You are breaking it into pieces anyway! Let it cool before you try to break it.  This can take about 15 minutes.



Store it in an airtight container.


I just wish that I had saved some for myself!

In the future, I think I am going to try it with cranberries.  I may also try a peanut brittle with chipotle. 

Maybe the future is now?

No comments:

Post a Comment