Saturday, May 3, 2014

Can we try that again?

This has been the week of recipes not going the way I had hoped.  First, I tried a southwestern quinoa burger with the leftover quinoa from my recipe from last week.  It was pretty good, but I wasn't very precise about ingredients (it was more of a throw-things-in-a-bowl-and-hope-it-works-out recipe), and I didn't take any pictures.  Then, I made brown rice pudding.  It was undercooked and really dry.  It tasted good, but it wasn't quite what it was supposed to be. 

I really wish I had taken pictures of the steel cut oat bars I made on Sunday!  They were a hit.

I'm going for easy now.  Instead of those recipes, I am sharing my mini cheesy corn muffins.  They aren't exactly the most difficult recipe ever, or the most creative, but they are comfort food for me.  My sister and I used to make these (minus the chipotle and sometimes plus bacon) for lunch during the summer when we were kids.  What better time for comfort food than the eve of finals week?

Mini Cheesy Corn Muffins

1 package (6 muffin) corn muffin mix (such as Jiffy)
+the ingredients for making the muffin mix
          1/3 cup egg beaters
          1/3 cup light almond milk
             2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup shredded cheese (taco blend is best)
1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder

shredded cheese and cajun seasoning for topping

First, preheat the oven according to the package directions.  Spray a mini muffin tin.

Mix the wet ingredients (egg beaters, milk, oil for me) into the mix.



Add the cajun seasoning and the shredded cheese.



Fill the muffin cups.

Top with more cheese and cajun seasoning.



Bake until a toothpick comes out clean.  Mine took less than 10 minutes.



I took these to a potluck party and they were very popular.  I took all twenty four (Okay, twenty three.  I ate one.) and brought about six home. Then I ate two more.

No comments:

Post a Comment