Friday, April 25, 2014

Quinoa Berry Spinach Salad with Goat Cheese

Parties are always a bit complicated.  There is so much junk food available and it is hard to control myself sometimes (all the time).  We had a little DHL party this week, and one of us has some food allergies.  I wanted to make sure that she had something to eat, but I also wanted something a bit healthier for myself (although I completely failed in my plan to eat one cupcake and some salad). 

My sister made a lovely wheat berry salad a few years ago and I wanted to recreate that. It was springy and lovely.  Of course, I couldn't just find her recipe and make it, because wheat berries are NOT gluten free.  So what I did was use it as an inspiration for this salad.

Quinoa Berry Spinach Salad with Goat Cheese

1/4 cup quinoa, cooked
1 1/2 cups spinach
1/2 cup chopped strawberries
1/2 cup blackberries
1 1/2 oz goat cheese

Lemon Vinaigrette
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon agave nectar
salt and pepper to taste
World Market Mediterranean Seasonings

Cook the quinoa according to the package instructions.   I used water and cooked the 1/2 cup recommended amount, but only used half of it for the salad.



While the quinoa is cooking, wash the berries and chop the strawberries.  You can use other berries.  I just found strawberries and blackberries that looked good in the store.  Add them to the spinach in a bowl.  I used the bowl I intended to serve it in, because I am a bit lazy.



Once the quinoa has cooled a little, add it on top of the berries and spinach. 



Break up the goat cheese a little and add it as well. I used honey goat cheese, although I had hoped to find cranberry or blueberry goat cheese.  We have limited resources out here in the LBK.



Make the vinaigrette by adding all of the ingredients to a canning jar.  Shake it up and add it on top of the salad, then mix it to combine.  (My apologies, but I got too excited about the vinaigrette and I ended up not taking a picture of it.)


I would like to say that it was a great hit, but it wasn't so much.  Junk food wins again.  However, I only had a small cup leftover and I did quite enjoy it, if I do say so myself.  I think I like it better with the wheat berries.  Now if I can just think of what to do with the leftover cooked quinoa!



No comments:

Post a Comment