Monday, May 4, 2015

Rummy Banana Coconut Bread

Note the title of this is RUMMY, not Remy.  By this distinction, I mean to note that I put a lot of rum in the banana bread; I did not put my dog in it, nor is my dog the maker of the recipe.  Just for clarification.

Last week, I was just thinking about having complete control of the kitchen again.  It is all mine now that my roommate moved in with her boyfriend and I have filled it with my things (but not my silverware which I cannot find--this is an interesting problem to have).  I wanted to make all the things.  Just all of them.  I was talking to another tutor in the Writing Center right outside the administrator's office (rude, I know, but that is where we congregate).  Just in passing, I mentioned the possibility of making coconut banana bread in celebration of the end of the semester.  Our administrator turned around and said "Coconut banana bread?" and then I decided it was now a done deal.  I had to make it if it caught someone's attention in another room when I wasn't even talking to that person. So I did.

I make variations of this recipe, based on Chocolate Covered Katie's Polka Dot Banana Bread, all the time.  I posted a Nutella swirled banana muffin recipe a while ago.  However, this one is a little different...and it is bread instead of muffins.  I just felt like using my loaf pan (all the things, remember?).


Rummy Banana Coconut Bread

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup coconut
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
dash of cinnamon
1 container coconut vanilla greek yogurt
2 1/2-3 ripe bananas (I used frozen which is how 2 1/2 worked)
1/2 cup sweetener (agave, honey, maple syrup...I mixed agave and honey)
1 1/2 tbls lemon juice
1/4 cup rum (I know...it is a lot.  I didn't intend for it to be...but it just happened and it was good!)
1/2 cup chocolate chips

1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Spray loaf pan.
2.)  Mix dry ingredients together in a medium bowl .

3.) Mix wet ingredients together in a small bowl.  (I may have gone too small.)


4.)  Fold wet into dry.  I did it in batches of approximately 1/3 off the wet ingredients. Do not overmix.

5.) Fold in chocolate chips.

6.)  Spread evenly into prepared loaf pan.  I like glass pans better than metal; this one is especially nice because of the lovely handles.  It is cobalt too (my favorite), but you cannot really see that with the black stove beneath it.


7.)  Bake until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.  It took mine approximately 40 minutes.  I could take up to an hour depending on your pan, oven temperature, etc.


I took this straight over to the writing center while it was still hot, so I don't have any pictures of the sliced bread.  It was very good though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment