Friday, March 7, 2014

Nutella Swirled Banana Muffins

I've been talking about trying this recipe for weeks.  Originally, I had planned to make them after my conference in Albuquerque.  However, I didn't have the energy.

Instead, I made them on Friday and brought them in to share with my coworkers in the Writing Center, because there are no better people to share baked goods with.  Really.  They are awesome.

My intention had been to begin with the base recipe I always use.  Some vegan friends of mine shared it with me.  I never followed the recipe exactly (I have a problem with that...I modify everything).  That recipe is a hit, though, so I highly recommend it.  It is Chocolate Covered Katie's Polka Dot Banana Bread.   Ultimately, I was too afraid to modify my hit recipe (I get requests for this. Frequently.).

Instead, I started with a fairly standard banana muffin recipe.  Then, I added mini chocolate chips, banana Chobani, and swirled World Market's Banana Chocolate spread on top (Although Nutella would work just as well, I just can't get enough banana flavor.).

These ones are just for me!  :-)


Nutella Swirled Banana Muffins

1 Banana Chobani greek yogurt
1/2 cup sugar (I actually used a scant 1/2)
1 Tablespoon butter, softened
2 eggs (or 6 Tablespoons Egg Beaters)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (vanilla bean paste would be great here)
4 very ripe, medium bananas (or three large), mashed
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda


1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
~4 teaspoons Nutella or Banana Chocolate spread, divided

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream the Chobani, butter, and sugar together.  I smooshed the softened butter in the bottom of the bowl, then mixed in the Chobani, and then mixed in the sugar.  Mix in the eggs one at a time. Then, mix in the mashed bananas and the vanilla.



In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda).  Make sure that it is combined well.

In small batches, add the dry ingredients to the wet.  You don't want to overmix, or the muffins will be a bit tough, but you don't want to have a lot of lumps, either.

Fold in the mini chocolate chips.  You could add nuts here, too, if you wanted.

Spoon the batter evenly into the lined or sprayed muffin tins.  I actually ended up having extra batter, so I sprayed three ramekins and filled those as well, for a total of 15 muffins.



Drop the nutella or banana chocolate spread by 1/4 teaspoons on each muffin. Swirl the Nutella over the muffin.  I used a toothpick, but a knife would probably work better.



Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (if you can avoid the nutella).


These muffins might have been as much of a hit as the Polka Dot ones I usually make.  I certainly enjoyed them!

No comments:

Post a Comment