Monday, April 27, 2015

Peach Shortcake

My dissertation director loves peach cobbler.  I made a peach dump cake last semester as an attempt at bribery, but she missed out on it because she was out of town.  This time I brought my peach baked goods directly to her.  Tricky.

I have been told that my strawberry biscuits taste like kolaches, another of my dissertation director's weaknesses.  When I found a sad and forgotten can of peaches in my pantry, I decided to make a peach version (there really weren't enough peaches for cobbler).  I used the Bisquick short cake recipe which is why I feel safe calling these shortcakes even though they are NOT really shortcakes.  They are the lazy woman's version of a shortcake.  I can't layer stuff.  Too much effort.

Peach Shortcakes
1/2 can peaches, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
1 cup bisquick (I used heart healthy)
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
dash nutmeg
 raw sugar for the tops

1.)  Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. 

2.) Drain and rinse the peaches.  Chop them (I did it in the strained, which probably wasn't the best idea) and pat them dry.  You could probably pat them dry, then cut them on a cutting board, but see my previous comment about my laziness.

3.)  Mix dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.



4.)  Add wet ingredients.  Mix until it just comes together.  Over mixing is super bad.

5.) Fold in the peaches.  I actually threw them in the bowl first without thinking and it was fine.



6.) Drop by the tablespoon onto a cookie sheet.  Sprinkle the tops with raw sugar. I made two batches.  The recipe makes about a dozen.



7.) Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.



These are best when they are fresh. The good news is the recipe is easily cut down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment