Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Peanut Butter Strawberry Muffins

My roommate had some strawberry muffin mix that she did not want.  I had a banana that was super ripe.  It seemed meant to be: strawberry banana muffins.  What is that you say?  My title for this post is not strawberry banana muffins?  You are right.  It is BETTER. 

Peanut Butter Strawberry Muffins

2 packages Martha White Strawberry Muffin Mix
1/4 cup PB2 peanut butter powder
1 banana
~1/3 cup milk

Crumb Topping

2 tablespoons butter, cold
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon PB2

1.)  Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and line a twelve cup muffin tin.

2.)  Smash the banana together with the PB2 in a medium bowl.



3.) Add the muffin mix.

4.)  Add the milk.  This was a bit of an estimate.  1/3 cup is not enough, but 2/3  cup would be too much.  It depends a bit on the size of the banana you use as well.



5.)  Fill the muffin tins equally, approximately 2/3 full.



6.) Make the crumb topping by cutting the butter into the dry ingredients.  I admit that I eyed this more than measured it.  It is a very approximate thing.  You just want it to come together in crumbles.  Cold butter (not softened, not melted) is very important.

I just used a fork since I was using a small ramekin to make the crumb topping.  You can use a pastry cutter or two knives, but I am always more successful with the fork.

7.)  Sprinkle the topping over the muffins.



8.)  Bake according to the package directions (14-17 minutes).  A toothpick stuck in the center should come out clean (unless you hit a strawberry bit).





I did manage to wait until the muffin cooled to the point of safety :-)  However, it was a very difficult action. 
I think I got the most compliments on these from everyone.  My roommate gave me the mix because she is giving up flour and potatoes (this will never happen for me), but they smelled so good baking, that she ate one.  I dropped the rest off at the Writing Center at 12:30, and by the  time we closed at 5, there was one left. 




No comments:

Post a Comment