Friday, April 11, 2014

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam

Spring and summer is all about strawberry everything.  I love strawberries; I really do.  However, one thing is even better than strawberries.  Strawberries with rhubarb.  Sadly, rhubarb is not easily found in Lubbock.  However, I found some last year, made a bunch of strawberry rhubarb stuff (including a mini pie and baked oatmeal), then froze some. 

As the temperatures go up above 80 degrees (miserable, I know), I decided it was time to celebrate with some rhubarb in my strawberry.

I had some frozen strawberries and the frozen rhubarb.  Frozen strawberries limits what you can make, but when I saw the english muffins on sale, I knew jam was the way to go.

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam

1 cup whole frozen strawberries
2 tablespoons frozen rhubarb
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Let strawberries and rhubarb thaw a little in a pan.  You can also thaw it overnight in the refrigerator, but I never think ahead that far.



Add sugar and lemon juice.



Boil on medium/medium low until thickened.  Stir frequently to avoid burning.



Let cool and put in a canning jar or other container.  I don't actually can my tiny batches of jam, because it is more trouble than it is worth (and because they don't last long enough to can them--this batch lasted less than a day when I took it to the Writing Center with Sticky Fingers Strawberry Scones). 

I also tried this recipe with fresh strawberries and rhubarb (I used more strawberries and chopped them more and I used more sugar because they were not as sweet as the frozen ones). 

I would post a picture of this lovely jam on an english muffin, but I didn't get to use it for one!  It was all gone within hours of me making it.  I don't mind though!  It just meant  I needed to make it again.  I will have a whole batch to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment