Monday, March 9, 2015

Turkey Taco Rice

I've been eating way too much junk food lately, and a lot of high fat foods, including a lot of beef.  For my Texan friends, eating all beef is not a problem at all, but I try to avoid it as the daughter of a man with heart disease. I'd like to avoid that, thanks. I needed to do something to try to control my bad habits, so I bought some ground turkey (extra lean!).

When I brought it home, I had no idea what to do with it. I thought about turkey burgers, but I wasn't in the mood.   I considered tacos, but I didn't really feel like it (messy).  Then, inspiration hit.  Taco Rice. I'd bought the taco rice packet and eaten it on a meatless day a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't particularly impressed. I could do better, I was sure.  And I did!

Turkey Taco Rice for One

1/4 pound extra lean ground turkey
1/2 cup vegetable stock (reduced sodium if you can swing it)
1/3 can fire roasted tomatoes
1/3 packet reduced sodium taco seasoning (or your own seasoning mix) 
1/2 cup minute brown rice

1/3 cup fire roasted corn (I bought a mix with black beans and peppers in it)
2 tablespoons reduced 

The construction is super easy. 

1.)  Brown the ground turkey.


2.)  Add the stock, tomatoes, and taco seasoning.
3.)  Bring to a boil.  My pan was super hot (stupid electric stove!), so the stock pretty much boiled when it hit the pan.

3.)  Add the rice. Cover.  I added water here because my stock pretty much boiled off.

4.)  Halfway through the cooking time (7 minutes for my rice), add the frozen corn.

5.)  After the rice is done, sprinkle the cheese on top. You can also add cilantro and sour cream here, if you'd like. I added Tony Packo's Sweet Hot Jalapenos (the best thing ever invented, I am pretty sure).


6.) Enjoy!

It was so much better than the packaged stuff and it was so filling.  The beans in the corn mix helped, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment