Friday, March 14, 2014

Happy Pi Day!

Not only is today pie day, but it is (my) first day of spring break.  Celebration time.  Of course, I have a ton of work to do, but it is still a break from going to class.  I am spending it in Oklahoma with friends (a break from Texas!  Yay!).  We, of course, could not pass up a chance to celebrate Pi Day.

I thought about a nice pot pie or Shepard's pie, but we were too lazy.  Instead, we made pizzas with premade crust.  I made a Tony Packo's pizza, which of course was not as good as Vito's version.  Jason made veggie pizzas on focaccia with vegetarian pepperoni.  Both were lovely.

I decided a pizza (pie) was not enough to celebrate Pi Day, so I made a modified Ozark Pie as well.  I modified this recipe from Sour Salty Bitter Sweet, partly because I left the recipe my parents always made in Lubbock and partly because Jason was more accepting of it when it was called Huguenot Torte.

Ozark Pie

1 egg
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg


1/2 large pear
1 small apple
1/2 cup chopped salted pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease a pie pan (I followed the recommendation of Sour Salty Bitter Sweet because I've had problems with it sticking in the past).

Chop the apple and pear into small pieces.  Chop the pecans as well.  Set them aside.

Mix the egg, sugar, and vanilla together. I would have replaced the vanilla with bourbon, but we didn't have any. 




 Add the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.






Mix in the apple, pear, and nuts.  You could add dried cranberries, too, but we didn't have any.




Pour it into the coated pan.




Bake for 30-35 minutes, until puffy and browned.



The salted pecans made it a little saltier than I like it.  Blending the apple and pear (instead of using just apples) adds a nice layer of flavor, though.  I added the cinnamon and nutmeg because everything is better with spice!  If I had thought this through more, I would have brought my cranberries and bourbon with me.  Oh well.  Maybe I will make it again next time I visit (which will actually be later in March, so probably not).




This was the first time that Brad and Jason had Ozark Pie.  I think it was a hit, but I also think I ate more of it than both of them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment